Friday, September 14, 2012

Grapes and Keuka Lake

 It's the middle of September, so that means it's time to pick grapes. I think they ripened a bit earlier this year, because the large vineyard we picked from last year had already brought their machinery in. We found a smaller orchard half a mile down the road from them. Twenty five cents a pound, weigh them yourself, and leave the money in a box(open and unlocked). Just one more reason I love it up here. The three of us picked 60 pounds of Concords and Aunt Dot picked 40.  We even found a section of red grapes. Afterwards, we drove to Keuka lake.
The locals must love this time of year, when they have the lake all to themselves.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, I wish I had been there. Those are two of my favorite places up there!
    Yesterday I was in a organic market and found a package of concord grapes. I had to stand there and sniff the grapes a while, taking a quick memory trip. The smelled exactly like the vineyard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A confession... I wandered into that market by mistake. Thought I was going into another store and was pleasantly surprised. It is a new addition to a shopping center I sometimes visit. Ha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm just getting over a cold, so the grapes didn't smell as strongly to me. They must have, though, since everyone else commented on it. You should see the property to the left of last year's vineyard. It's a beautiful, old stone farmhouse completely surrounded by grapes.

    I've made jelly, jam, frozen pulp for smoothies, and juice since yesterday. I still have 2/3rds of it left. Ken asked me if I needed that much, but of course I don't ever listen.

    ReplyDelete