Thursday, September 26, 2013

Repent and Recycle

 I dislike going to the recycle center, another job that I have to do now that Walt's away. Usually we just feel sticky afterwards, but yesterday we were shamed....Ken had the audacity to try and put a window  glass (pane-less)  in with the clear glass. Some elderly lady in a bright orange vest flew out of her sentry post to tell us, repeatedly, that it had to go in the trash pit, not recyclables. He apologized 100 times, and she just kept repeating the same thing. Then he didn't realize broken microwaves went into the big cardboard box in the electronic shed, not on the floor of the shed. Jeez. Then another man was forced to scoop out a peanut butter jar we put in the plastics because it wasn't "clean enough". We always clean them first to keep odors away , and there's no sign posted saying they must even be washed(and NY has millions of signs telling you what to do) but his eagle eye saw evidence of  nut butter...I was a nervous wreck by the time we got to the garbage pit.  I'm sure they had a camera on us. I was praying that it's ok to toss styrofoam in with the regular garbage. So--since Walt was sick and in the middle of a hectic afternoon, I decided to cheer him up and text him as we made our way thru the dump. Afterwards, he asked why we chose to make such bad decisions. I told him that he must have been our moral compass. His response: "I guess so."
One Perfect Leaf

Beginning to Turn

2 comments:

  1. I laughed so hard I choked myself. I don't know why recycle people and the Goodwill store donation attendants are so uppity sometimes. Were it not for your time and effort, that stuff would end up in the trash.Altho, one time I had a guy at the GW take a lamp I was donating and toss it into the trash dumpster right in front of me! It wasn't broken OR ugly. I just didn't need it. But perhaps he could have told me they didn't want it Before he tossed it, in case I could come up with another plan for it...Ack!

    And yes, it is looking like autumn there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's the big thing with the milk can behind?

    ReplyDelete