Monday, September 22, 2014

Frog And Toad Are Friends


Nemesia
Wild grapes in back yard
These pretty weeds fill the ditch all the way down the driveway. I decided not to mow them down.
Looks like it ate something before I picked it

Balsam
   I planted over 100 bulbs Sunday, then went back and bought 50 more today.  I lined the front sidewalk with nearly 80 crocus. The rest were tulips, pink and purple hyacinths, and purple alliums.
The frog and toad appeared while digging under the lamp pole. I tried making a diagram of where things were planted, but then realized I'd just obsess about what did or did not bloom next spring, so I tossed it. By the end of the day I'd forgotten where most of them were anyway, so whatever happens then will be a pleasant surprise.
  The balsam bloomed late this year. It's obvious that they grew best in the driveway gravel. The sedum at the front steps keep getting pinker every day.  The plant in the second pic is Nemesia fruticans.  It should win an award, as it bloomed non stop(no dead heading needed) from very early spring through fall.  It's still going strong. An annual up here, but I may dig it up to see if I can keep it alive indoors.
 

3 comments:

  1. Still looks summery. All your effort pays off beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I had kept my balsam alive. I really love it. Is the blue ditchweed an aster? It looks like an aster that I have but mine blooms about October. Love the frog/toad photo.
    You will really love all the bulbs in the spring! I have lots of dafodils, a few hyacinths, and used to have tulips and allium. Every once in a while an allium will show up again.
    Did you have any problem handling the hyacinths or did you know to be careful? They have something that is really irritating on skin when you handle them.

    Can you eat the grapes? Mother said you didn't have room for any concord grapes this year...Wish I was there to pick some!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh. I was itching like crazy while I planted them. I assumed it was the nasty little gnats flying around, but it sort of felt like having that pink attic insulation on my skin, kind of itchy and prickly/cutting at the same time. The grapes are nasty. The weeds look like tiny blue daisy/asters.

    ReplyDelete