Monday, April 22, 2013

Birds of a Feather...

 I was in the bedroom packing away our heavier winter clothes when I heard a loud thunk on the window.  Another little bird had flown into it again. After watching him sit slumped on the shrub, I decided to go outside to see if it was alright. I carried him to the porch and let him soak up some sun, then I brought him inside while I grabbed the camera. He was obviously still a bit loopy, so we went back out to wait. A few minutes later he perked up and clasped my fingers with his feet. A few more minutes passed and he flew up to the tree. Shortly after that he flew away.
See his crooked feet?  He's still pretty dizzy.
Feeling a bit better
Now he's able to grab my fingers
He's barely visible, in the middle of the pic.

3 comments:

  1. Oh how sweet! I would be thrilled to have one sit on my hand. I'm glad you were there to help him. Beautiful pictures too. It looks like he is almost finished coming out of his winter colors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is he? Was he just brown all winter? I saw a couple on the feeder about an hour later, so I'm going to just hope he was one of them. I don't know what to do about the windows. In the morning there's a cardinal fighting her reflection on a bedroom window, and robins beat their heads on the basement ones. These little guys just zoom into them headfirst until early afternoon. Opening or closing the blinds doesn't make a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He's a goldfinch. They are that dull color overall in the winter during non-breeding times. He's almost all yellow now. You can read all about them on the Cornell Lab of Ornithology website. Even hear them.
    I don't know what to suggest about the windows. They just see their reflections and think they are another bird. Some people put stickers on the windows so they don't fly head first into them. I don't know how well that works.

    ReplyDelete