Monday, February 10, 2014

Hey, Walt- I Bought My Own Apple!


Down the hill, toward civilization
Up the hill, can't drive that way for 3 or 4 more months
Aluminum apple, only $2
Odd, melted clouds

Not unusually deep, just neverending
Waiting for Puppy to chase him
Driveway plowed.
The deep drainage ditch at the end of the driveway at the road. The caution posts have been buried a long time
Not too deep for me!
Sorry, Puppy.  This house is big enough for only one dog.
We found the aluminum apple in Hammondsport. See the weird sky in the second picture? That was the oddest day--we drove from Elmira to Bath for shopping, then got on I86 west for home, since the back roads need a 4WD in winter. After  a while, we realized we were on a totally different freeway heading north. It felt like we were missing time. The sky was odd and seemed a bit Twilight Zoney. Then I see a phone message from Aunt Dot saying she was returning my call, and that I'd even left her a message.  I hadn't used the phone all day. Near home we saw our neighbor(same truck, coat, and hat) at a spot he'd told us the day before that he'd be at, and he looked up and waved. Passing his house a couple minutes late, we saw his truck parked. Have you ever had one of those days? I remember once when I was a girl scout, I came home from a meeting and fell asleep on the couch until supper, and it seemed like a totally different day when I woke up.  Maybe it's just the winter crazies...

1 comment:

  1. Gosh your snow is deeper than mine. At least your dog doesn't get lost in it. Maggie would get lost in snow over my ankles! It looks quite pretty. And long lasting...
    Love the Apple. Never seen one in aluminum.

    I had a TZ-y day last week. Was at the bookstore looking for large print books for Aunt Polly. Opened one to a random page and read a sentence. At that EXACT time I heard the sentence on the radio. I was shocked. It was actually part of the chorus and repeated a few times. I kept reading the sentence while someone sang it...Four words exactly. I got the shivers and put the book back on the shelf! I don't even remember what the words were, but it was freaky.

    I remember Lindsey and I had what we refer to as Bizarre Day. We were driving around in the Flint Hills when she was still in middle school and stopped in Cottonwood Falls to see the Courthouse. Saw a sign in the window of a store that said, "Have you seen my Kangaroo?" Got out of the car and the payphone by the car rang. I was afraid to answer it. Went into an antique shop and wound up buying a bunch of antique barbed wire. (No idea why) Drove on and passed an orange object hidden in the woods. It looked like an orange spaceship. We commented on how bizarre everything seemed that day, and then we passed the Bazaar Cemetery. There used to be a little town called that there. It is close to where Knute Rockne's plane crashed in 1931. That's the road I take up to Manhattan every time I go see her, and that orange building is still there, but it is now faded to white. Still don't know what it is.

    ReplyDelete