Friday, August 16, 2013

Taughannock State Park

Note the orange tipped leaves, it was 48 degrees yesterday morning
Doesn't it appear he's purposefully letting Rusty drink that dirty water?

Checking out the alien rock piles
33 feet taller than Niagara Falls
Perfect place for a bear's den
Signature sideburns
Tallest waterfall east of the Rockies
  We went to Taughannock park yesterday. It's on Cayuga lake, not far from Ithaca. I tried to imagine how beautiful it would have been(even tho it's still gorgeous today) when the Cayugas were there; it's only a mile hike from the lake to the waterfall. One of the signs there said that a group of Cayugas there were the only few that survived the massacre ordered by George Washington, and carried out by the murderous General Sullivan. I can't believe Elmira has a whole park dedicated to such a killer.
  Cayuga Lake was more peaceful than Seneca or Keuka, at least the side we were on. It didn't seem to have as many homes built right on the edge of it.

7 comments:

  1. These are outstanding photos. You are so pretty. FYI, Rod Serling loved Cayuga lake and named his production company after it. I think he had a home there too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's common knowledge that I hate to have my picture taken. Walt and Ken tried to convince me that maybe my molecules vibrate at a different speed than most humans, so my photos always are horridly amusing. This one must have been a fluke, all the others had me looking angry, confused, or deranged. One even looks like I'm trying to dance while listening to some rap music in my head.

      Delete
    2. I like that photo with Sharon kissing the alpaca and your face showing exactly what I'm feeling.

      Delete
    3. Actually the alpaca was kissing me. I was the surprised recipient!

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful place! Wow, NY has some amazing waterfalls/parks, doesn't it? I feel like I walked around the park with you!
    Walt is so darned handsome! Rusty is precious, and what a great photo of you and Ken!
    I didn't know that about Rod Serling...I just read that he had a vacation cabin on the lake. Wonder if it is common knowledge as to where it is?And how on earth did Diane remember that??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read his biography about 20 years ago.

      Delete
    2. You also can remember where we sat in each class in high school, who our teachers were and all of our classmates. I can barely recall what the school even looked like. I don't recall a cafeteria at all, or where the library was, but I am sure we had both.

      Delete