Saturday, April 14, 2012

Hunting The Elusive Leek

People up here love to get together and eat - pancake breakfasts, spaghetti dinners, harvest meals, and this time of year, ham and leeks. The leeks grow wild in the woods. They're supposed to taste fantastic, with tales of the whole town smelling like leeks. I searched the woods around here - pulling up everything green and sniffing it - but I could find no leeks. Friday, we went to see relatives and strolled through their leek-worthy woods. After tasting them, I think the whole thing may be a joke. They are just glorified onions.

I think I'll wait for the next big food extravaganza later this summer - beef on weck. 

A trillium, something else we dug up on our leek hunt.

2 comments:

  1. Did you transplant the trillium to your yard? It's really pretty...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I transplanted a few of them. We also went to our property and dug up some vinca groundcover and several small lilac bushes(sticks, really).

      Delete